Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default tool sharpening

"DejaVoodoo" wrote in message
I'm new to turning and have successfully turned my first two pieces.
I have not yet sharpened any of my tools (my skew is the only thing I
have really used so far, but I think it needs a tune up). I have a
bench grinder from yester-year and I believe it to be 3450 RPM. I'll
have to look it up to make sure. Most sites I have visted recomend a
slower grinder. Two questions: Can I slow this puppy down some how,
or if not, can I still use it but dip the chisel in water every few
seconds?

Thanks
Mark

Mark- you do NOT need a new grinder - the one you have will work fine, just
use a lighter touch. You will want to sharpen tools often - at least once
per 1/2 hour or so of use - you will learn to feel when they are dull and
not cutting right. A light touch and some skill on a 3600 RPM grinder is
fine.

Jigs are good, but also not essential - for a fingernail grind they are
pretty helpful because it's hard to be even otherwise, other grinds are much
easier to do freehand - if grinding other than a flat skew or a straight
across spindle gouge grind you will usually want to remove the tool rest