Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Why do some 240 volt devices need a neutral?

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
The way I see it, the current flows from one conductor to the other? So
what's the neutral for? The only thing I can think of is perhaps these
devices have several independent parts in them and some of those parts are
120 volts...

Thanks,

Aaron

As others have said, if a 240 volt device requires a neutral, it uses 120
volts for some part of it. With the exception of older electric ranges and
cooking equipment, any 240 volt device that requires a neutral would
typically be hard wired or furnished with a 4 wire outlet and cord