Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default I want to build my own on-wall radiator

On Sep 21, 10:54*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

How hard can it be to build something like this:

http://www.radiatorshowroom.co.uk/al...-radiator.html

as a DIY project!? (I'm not talking about achieving the look and
feel.)

My plan is take 1/2 copper tubing (the smaller the diameter the
better, I assume) and weave it back and forth with 90 degree elbows.
Then I will buy a sheet of copper and attach (somehow) to my mesh of
tubing.

Is this idea doomed from the beginning?

If NOT, I would like to get some ideas on:

1. What to make the overall frame out of? I presume it needs to be
quite strong. Perhaps steel welded together?

2. How to attach tubing to the sheet of copper? I can think of copper
brackets with copper bolts. But maybe there is a better way, like some
kind of heat transfer plates and heat conducting glue.

That's good for starters...

Thanks,

Aaron

Is this a hot water or steam system?

Yes, it is doable.

but your first assumption is (imo) incorrect and will send oyu in the
wrong direction.

you need to know how much heat you need out of the unit.....
undersize, it wont be able to deliver enough heat
oversize, (you can always throttle the water flow) you waste money on
materials & fabrication..

I wouldn't bolt it together...too clunky. I'd sweat (torch) the plate
onto the pipes or have the assembly furnace brazed

do you want the flat plat look or is the ladder look ok? If the
ladder look is ok...I'd do 1" or 3/4" uprights with 1/2" (5/8 od) or
smaller "rungs".

since oyu're probably going to make a couple mods to your prototype
before it works (I assume you cant do heat transfer calcs?)

....I suggest you keep it simple & build the easiest way for your
skills & experience and build with the thought that you;re going to
modify it.

Give a try & then modify as needed.

cheers
Bob