Posted to alt.home.repair
Aaron Fude Aaron Fude is offline

Default Why do some 240 volt devices need a neutral?

stan wrote:
On Sep 21, 10:03 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Some 220 VAC devices have a clock, circuit board, or some
other sub assembly which is 110 VAC.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

The way I see it, the current flows from one conductor to
the other? So
what's the neutral for? The only thing I can think of is
perhaps these
devices have several independent parts in them and some of
those parts
are 120 volts...

Thanks,

Aaron

.
Trolling? Well; for example: Cooking stoves. The various ones we've
had (three or four countries) vary somewhat.
And only in 3 wire plus ground North American - Mexico 115 - 0 - 115
volt wiring practice.

Buy typically our present cooking stove has 230 volt elements and 230
volt oven heater/broiler etc. But the timer clock on this current one
is (IIRC) I115 volt.
Also there is a 115 volt light bulb in the oven controlled by a switch
on the stove and a 115 volt 'convenience' outlet.
Can't remember on this stove if that outlet is controlled by the
timer; but sometimes they are. And it occasioanally makes a convenient
place to plug in something heavy like a 1500 watt electric kettle or
fry pan.
On the other hand our 230 volt electric hot water heater does NOT need
a neutral for anything I can think of.

Thanks for all the responses, but now I have a follow up question.

So some devices (A) need neutral and some (B) don't. Then I would guess
that plugs on (B) should be a "special case" of those on (A). Meaning
that plugs on (B) should be pluggable into outlets with a neutral. But
unless I am mistaken, that is not the case. Why not? Or am I mistaken?

Thanks again,

Aaron