Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Cleaning Plated Electrical Contacts?

In article , "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:

(GregS) wrote in
:

In article , "JB"
wrote:
Silicone based products are really not a good thing, at least thats
what some say. However sometimes a silicone grease is used to
protect connections. Silicone sprays were common 30 years ago.
I don't recall any of the more common recommended sprays having
silicone. I see mixed recommendations of lubing relays.
Some say no, but I do.

greg

Silicone based cleaners leave a residue that protects against friction
but tends to insulate. You have to break through the film in order to
even have contact. I have found them useful for connectors that see
lots of use, such as Notebooks, but I usually have to wash them with
Isopropyl to remove most of what I put on.

There is no point in lubing relays. Any residue will increase the
likelihood of burning of the contacts. They should be cleaned and
burnished with a non-residue cleaner and as minimally abrasive tool as
possible. Bond paper strips will often suffice.

Isopropyl Alcohol at 90% or better is clean, leaves no residue, won't
harm most plastics and is the only recommended cleaner for many
switches and contacts. Do not use less than 90% as there will be risk
of moisture damage.

I kind of like using 70% rubbing alcohol sometimes, with
its small amount of mineral oil. Any % alcohol can cause
moisture problems, even 100%. The trick is to warm dry it.

Rubbing alcohol shouldn't have any mineral oil in it.
I prefer 90% isopropyl.It also absorbs any water or moisture.

Some has 'Oil of Wintergreen' but that is usually colored green. It
is an old type of pain killer. They still make it, but they don't use
real 'Oil of Wintergreen'. between the dye and other additives, I
wouldn't use it on electronics. I do use it for some types of pain in
my hands, from the Diabetic Neuropathy.

You will get dry patches of blue.

I got an experiance I never felt. I eat hot peppers all the time,
and have heard of capsation rub for pain. Capsation particles
are extremely small and float in the air.
Well, I was cleaning some Habenero and jalapeņo
peppers in haste scraping the seeds out and taking most
of the core. Besides having to wash hands many times and
being carefull, after about 20 minuites I started to feel the action
penetrating the skin on my hands. They were tingly,
much the same as a burn would do but mild. It
wasn't a real bad feeling, but I could see how it might numb
pain in the joints.

Also try vitamin D. If your out in the sun, forget it. Just take minerals.
1000-2000 units D-3.

greg