Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Help Me Figure Out How to Do This

On 09/21/2009 05:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

The gap in the diagram is exaggerated. It's a bit less than two business
cards. This may be perfectly acceptable for most circumstances, but I'm
a bit anal and would like it to be perfect.

Do they make shims for this purpose? What would you suggest?

Off the top of my head, I have a couple ideas...
1) sand the bottom of the edge of the wing, until it pulls in enough to
be coplanar.
B) shim the top of the edge of the wing with paper, until it pushes out
enough to be coplanar.

I shimmed mine.

Paper is about 3 thou. May be too thick. Tinfoil works and is thinner.
Silver foil tape (the real stuff to use when taping ducts) is thinner
than masking tape and will stay in place better than tinfoil.

Chris