Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Help Me Figure Out How to Do This

I've been tweaking up my new-to-me table saw (see recent gloat), going
through all the adjustments and making sure everything in on spec,
straight, square, parallel and all that.

The cast iron top is in three pieces. The main piece with the saw blade
hole, and a wing each on the left and right. There are 3 bolts holding
each wing to the make section.

When I check with a straight edge (yes, it's straight), the right wing
is in line and coplanar with the center section.
When I check the left wing, it is a little higher on it's outside than
where it meets the center section.
see diagram:
http://www.mikedrums.com/tablesawtop2.png

The gap in the diagram is exaggerated. It's a bit less than two business
cards. This may be perfectly acceptable for most circumstances, but I'm
a bit anal and would like it to be perfect.

Do they make shims for this purpose? What would you suggest?

Off the top of my head, I have a couple ideas...
1) sand the bottom of the edge of the wing, until it pulls in enough to
be coplanar.
B) shim the top of the edge of the wing with paper, until it pushes out
enough to be coplanar.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)