Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Brooks[_2_] Richard Brooks[_2_] is offline

Default Switch off at the socket?

J. P. Gilliver (John) said the following on 20/09/2009 17:52:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes:

[lots of really good stuff - basically, nuclear is a lot better than
it's made out to be - snipped]

WE don't need to use any wind. Its an appalingly inefficient way to
generate usable power. It has no real justification beyond seeming to
the naive, to be a green solution to a real problem. In reality its no
solution at all, but it gets the greenies of peoples backs whilst they
work on real solutions.

I think that's a _bit_ harsh. Sure, in terms of setup energy costs (e.
g. making the concrete), as well as running efficiencies, it's not
great; however, since it is in effect free, I don't think it should be
dismissed. (Especially if the return-on-investment time can be reduced,
as suggested in some article about a new - Chinese, of course - design
someone posted a link to here has any validity; I think ROI time is the
big killer of wind power at the moment.)

I wonder if that's related to the Brit who went abroad with a mains
power saving device and the Chinese are building it? It was all part
of a documentary about Brits in China which was shown I think sometime
last year.