Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default Switch off at the socket?

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 17:30:58 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

As one who grew up (from about age 6, anyway) in Germany, I've always
found BS1363 connectors (the "13A" type), both plug and - especially -
socket, far too big - and having a switch on each socket an unnecessary
further complication. If you really want to "turn off at the socket",
you can take the plug out ...

Other countries use different ways of doing their house wiring ,they
have a different set of advantages and disadvantages, and the standard
of electrical installations varies greatly. I say no more.

The whole kit and caboodle of recent house wiring, Ring Main, 13A
mains sockets, 13A fused mains plugs, and appliance leads was
introduced to save copper during the early shortages after the war.

So they say.

In earlier times when in me mum's house we were only just getting used
to having one power socket per room a lot of appliances with quite a
high current drain (So called "Electric Fires") were sold without
switches, and switching off by pulling the plug out caused burnt
contacts in the 13A sockets.

(Other designs of plug don't lie in wait for your bare feet either ...)

That only happens cos you're pullin' the plugs out - Doh !

Derek.