Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default OT water filters

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:16:01 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

good stuff allsnipped

likewise has anyone done this for cooking and drinking (very likely)
and if so what do the recommend?

Tap water. De-chlorinating is done by simply leaving the water to
stand in a jug for an hour or so.

Best aquire the self discipline to put a big jug of fresh tapwater
covered with a net or piece of kitchen towel in the fridge before
retiring for the night.

If you find the water to be hard
use a Brita filter jug.

It seems to me to be money for old rope with the cost of filters etc

Filters are much cheaper in SEARS in the USA. I was going to buy a
load and bring them back last time I went but the sales assistant
asked me which I had, "Odour" or "Sediment", in my water. TBH I had
neither. Then my uncle told me their market was for people (like him)
who have both well water (for drinking) and a septic tank in the
garden. 8-(

It is. The effectiveness of these cheap domestic units is also very
variable. Usually, the higher the flow rate the less effective the
filter (for a given size). Quite a few simply don't work even to
their own declared standards (which are sometimes not very good to
begin with if you examine the figures). As there is nothing of worth
for them to filter in tap water no one ever notices and the cost of
periodic analysis is such that no one bothers doing it so their
failures remain undetected.

and that for drinking and cooking there must me a gravity filtration
or ion exchange system that would be cheaper

Brita jug.

Much to be said for her getting someone with a Makro or Costco pass to
obtain it (H2O) by the caseload for her, plenty cheap enough for
drinking purposes, can be sparkling or not, and should she choose can
come in lunchpack sized bottles to take to work.

Oh, forgot to mention, you get to choose whether you want your water
to be freighted from the Scottish Highlands, Miss Marple-Esque
Harrogate, Pagan Wales, The Cotswolds, Sicily, or 50,000,000 year old
water (Best Before Feb 2010) from the Volcanic region of the Massif
Central in France. Oddly all cost more / less the same price which
doesn't seem to vary with the exchange rate. 8-|

I may be wrong

You are not.

That's a good answer.

Derek