Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Electrical circuit hazard?

On Sep 21, 12:16*pm, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
Bill wrote:
ALWAYS turn off the main power to the house before doing electrical work!

I suggest you call an electrician.

"Darro" *wrote in message
Hi,

I caused a problem with an electrical circuit and would like to know
whether it's a hazard until my electrician has a chance to check
things out.

Scenario:
Two switches (a dimmer switch and a standard toggle switch
--three-way, I think) in two locations control the same two hallway
light fixtures.

As I was pulling the toggle switch out of its metal box, one of its
terminals touched the side of the box and sparked once for a fraction
of a second until contact between the terminal and box was broken.

The switches no longer turn on the light fixtures even though power is
still being delivered to the switches. If I leave the circuit breaker
on (my preference for reasons I won't go into here), would that be a
hazardous thing to do, and if so, why?

And if anyone has an idea of why the switches no longer turn on the
lights, I'd be very interested in knowing that too.

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Darro

I work on live circuits all the time. I'm still here.
If you know how current flows you can avoid it flowing through you.
If you are a complete idiot, shut off the breaker.- Hide quoted text -

And if you have a sudden need for the bathroom halfway through, and
wife/child/pet comes in to see the pretty wires while you're gone???

There are times when you have no choice but to work live. When you
have a choice, usually better to be 100% safe than 95%.

That's at home. At work it's a different story. OSHA applies, and
most of the time you are forbidden to work live. Zero Energy State,
Lockout Tagout, etc.