Posted to alt.home.repair

Default why limit number of circuits

On Sep 21, 12:34*am, bud-- wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
On Sep 18, 2:29 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Aaron Fude wrote:

OK, I think I confused everyone.
My contractor tells me that I'm not allowed to install a panel that can
take more than 4 circuits. And I'm wondering what the rationale is for
that particular limitation.
One of several possibilities: you misunderstood the contractor; the contractor
misunderstands, or misstated, the rule; or there is some *local* rule limiting
the number of circuits in a subpanel. There is no such limit in the National
Electrical Code; the only limit under the NEC is the number of circuits that
the panel is identified for.

But I think there are some rules related to the total of the amperage
of all the breakers in the box as it relates to the 30 amp feed, isn't
there? *I know you can't just infinitely add breakers to a 30 amp
circuit.

I agree with others that there is no limit. As gfretwell posted, for
commercial a receptacle counts 180VA which eventually gives you a limit.
Someone wire every receptacle in their house on a separate circuit - a
very large number of circuits.

There is also the rule about how many motions it taks to cut off all
the power but I thought that was 6 or 8, not 4?

A *service* can have up to 6 disconnects. (Actually there are additional
disconnects that do not count.)

Unless there is a
local code that says 4 is the max. *OP - this rule limits how many
breakers you can have in a box without putting a "main" breaker in the
box as well.

Generally a panel has to have source overcurrent protection equal to or
less than the panel rating. A subpanel is normally protected at the
source of the feeder to the subpanel. In general you don't need an
additional main breaker in a subpanel.

--
bud--- Hide quoted text -

What disconnects do not count towards the 6 limit?