Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Cleaning Plated Electrical Contacts?

(GregS) wrote in
:

In article , "JB"
wrote:
Silicone based products are really not a good thing, at least thats
what some say. However sometimes a silicone grease is used to
protect connections. Silicone sprays were common 30 years ago.
I don't recall any of the more common recommended sprays having
silicone. I see mixed recommendations of lubing relays.
Some say no, but I do.

greg

Silicone based cleaners leave a residue that protects against friction
but tends to insulate. You have to break through the film in order to
even have contact. I have found them useful for connectors that see
lots of use, such as Notebooks, but I usually have to wash them with
Isopropyl to remove most of what I put on.

There is no point in lubing relays. Any residue will increase the
likelihood of burning of the contacts. They should be cleaned and
burnished with a non-residue cleaner and as minimally abrasive tool as
possible. Bond paper strips will often suffice.

Isopropyl Alcohol at 90% or better is clean, leaves no residue, won't
harm most plastics and is the only recommended cleaner for many
switches and contacts. Do not use less than 90% as there will be risk
of moisture damage.

I kind of like using 70% rubbing alcohol sometimes, with
its small amount of mineral oil. Any % alcohol can cause
moisture problems, even 100%. The trick is to warm dry it.

Rubbing alcohol shouldn't have any mineral oil in it.
I prefer 90% isopropyl.It also absorbs any water or moisture.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik