Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_2_] Gerald Ross[_2_] is offline

Default Ode to Oland

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
Any idea why? The BB tools are HSS. What sort of tip did you
have in the Oland tool? All the oland tool roll-yer-own instructions
I've seen use HSS as well.

-- Andy Barss

In my experience, the Oland tip survives more abuse because of the cutting
angle, the narrow profile and the fact that it's basically a small, thick
scraper..
A bowl gouge has a flute and thin cutting edge and while it produces fine
shavings, it's also much more prone to dulling and nicking, IMO..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

I have to agree with Mac. Even though the Oland is used as a cutting
tool, the edge has all the mass of a scraper behind it. Besides which, I
always use the same inserts for my Olands that the metal turners use.
They should be able to cut through a nail, they are made for it.

Darrell

Thanks for coming to my aid, Darrell, but you sure took your time
doing it! :)

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA