Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default tool sharpening

DejaVoodoo wrote:
I'm new to turning and have successfully turned my first two pieces.
I have not yet sharpened any of my tools (my skew is the only thing I
have really used so far, but I think it needs a tune up). I have a
bench grinder from yester-year and I believe it to be 3450 RPM. I'll
have to look it up to make sure. Most sites I have visted recomend a
slower grinder. Two questions: Can I slow this puppy down some how,
or if not, can I still use it but dip the chisel in water every few
seconds?

If it's carbon steel you can dip it. If it's high speed steel you
shouldn't. But you don't really need to either.

Just use a light touch and you'll be fine. I use a 3450 grinder and it
works fine. I put a 120 grit white wheel on it but other than that and
a Oneway Wolverine jig it's a stock setup.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska