Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default "ceiling" pull switch for exterior use?

On Sep 21, 1:16*am, "Michael Chare"
wrote:
"neverwas" wrote in message

om...

Is there such a thing as a "ceiling" pull switch for exterior use please?
I've looked at TLC-Direct, CEF etc but can't find one.

In case I'm barking up the wrong thingie, I was hoping to use one fitted
to the soffit over the porch for an external light for an elderly
relative. She does not want a PIR 'cos of the local cats etc burning her
electricity. *There is no convenient internal place for a switch. *I was
hoping to avoid running conduit for an external switch (both because I am
lazy/useless and because it would be unsightly). *I'd also inclined
against remote control as it'd mean her taking the zapper with her when
she goes out - just something more to forget/lose.

Maybe you could site the switch inside, perhaps using a pulley wheel above
the soffit.

Yes, but rather than a pulley tie a bit of string to the right angle
bit of the cord, and fix other end of string to something so the
string sits at 45 degrees. Now nothing will come off the pulley, jam
down the side etc.

Another possible is a pattress containing a reed switch and a relay,
and a magnet on the keyring. And brass keys

NT