Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Furniture Oil for new oak table

S Viemeister wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 21 Sep, 14:10, S Viemeister wrote:

Interesting - I use walnut oil for cooking, so there's generally a
container of it in the kitchen. It doesn't go rancid?

I treat my salad bowls, chopping boards etc. with walnut oil because I
have it to hand in the kitchen. If I'm oiling wood in the workshop I
use mineral oil for cheap, or the camelia for the good stuff.

I may try that - my boards are overdue for another oiling, and I can't
find the mineral oil, but I have loads of walnut oil.

Vaseline is a thicker version of mineral oil.
I don't understand why walnut wouldn't go rancid like olive oil. It's
just another non-drying vegetable oil surely.