Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Power shower removal

TheOldFellow wrote:
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 15:13:44 +0100
Dave wrote:

We are having a problem with the power shower.
I have electrically disconnected both ends of the supply cable and
removed the control knobs, but the plumbing part of it has me beat.

The shower case is a push fit onto the hot and cold copper pipes and
then screwed onto the wall. I have removed the three screws that are
shown in the paperwork and I read that I should push back 2 grey collars
and the case should come off the pipes. No matter how I push the collars
I can't get the case off the pipes.
Is there a knack, or have the push fit connectors jammed up?

Dave

If they are like JG Speedfit then there is indeed a knack. The stainless
steel teeth in the fitting need to be disengaged, which is what pushing
the collars should do, but I've found you need to PUSH them further on,
against the o-ring to clear the teeth from the pipe. It's only a very
small push, but without it the teeth stick in the copper.

It's also vital to push the collar in all round at once. There is a
special tool for some pushfit fittings.

The pic at the bottom of this page is helpful.

http://www.johnguest.com/makeconnect.asp

Thanks for your reply.

I've given it a go, but the pipes are not budging. I'll try again after
we have eaten.

Dave