Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bolted[_3_] Bolted[_3_] is offline

Default Best tool to cut a slit in a wall?

On 21 Sep, 16:25, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 21 Sep, 15:43, Bolted wrote:

Diamond chainsaw.

Diamond wiresaw, surely? *I though diamonds didn't like chains as
there was too much shock loading. Even then, those are usually kept
for concrete with hard aggregates as brickwork will succumb to a far
cheap wheel.

Wire-saws need access from both sides, I think.

I said (and meant) chainsaw. The one I hired was an ICS 14 inch
petrol one but they do some truly impressive looking hydraulic ones
too http://www.redbanduk.co.uk/ICS-CONCR...NGE/C9-1-0.htm.

I was cutting concrete (extension with a raft foundation with walls
sitting on a cast concrete upstand to DPM level, builder cocked up and
set the gap in the upstand 300mm too narrow).

Much easier to control than a big disk cutter, especially if not
cutting along the ground.

I sometimes use a chain morticer with a carbide chain that costs an
indecent amount. I imagine these make even that look cheap.

I think they are around the £150 mark for a new chain. Chain wear was
a significant proportion of the total hire charge for me.