Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Cleaning Plated Electrical Contacts?

"Ross Herbert" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 08:28:42 -0700 (PDT), GeneO wrote:

:Have been Googling the proper way to clean plated electrical contacts
:but either get nothing if use " or a lot of nonrelevant hits without.
:
:Am interested in any suggestions esp how to remove the nonconductive
xides.
:
:If a connector is too damaged would also be interested in what are
:considered the best type replacement.
:
:Thanks
:
:Gene

I don't think I have ever come across a "plated" electrical contact. In my
experience electrical contacts are always a solid material such as brass
(cheap
and nasty - often used in electrical appliances) or a more exotic alloy
material
such as nickel-silver. The contact material used is dependant on the
application
(AC or DC and whether inductive) and the magnitude of the current being
handled.

I'm sure that you must have, Ross ?? I'd agree with you on 'solid brass
contacts' in clunky mains power switches etc, but elsewhere, many contacts
seem to be plated rather than solid. For instance, I just put the word
"plated" into the search pane on one component supplier's website, and it
came back with 59 items, most of which were connectors with a variety of
plating materials quoted for their contacts, including gold, silver & tin.
Similarly, a quick look in a catalogue at switches, reveals many to have
either gold or silver plated contacts. Also, many relays have contacts
described variously as gold "plated", "covered", "overlayed" etc. It is
these contacts that I find you have to be careful not to use any kind of
abrasion on, for fear of going through the very thin layer of plating. I
generally find that pulling a piece of dry cardboard through things like
relay contacts, is enough to clean them. A tiny spot of cleaner/lubricant
introduced to the contact gap, finishes the job off.

Arfa