Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister[_2_] S Viemeister[_2_] is offline

Default Furniture Oil for new oak table

Andy Dingley wrote:

Non-film oils are easy too. Simple mineral oil is fine here ("liquid
paraffin" from Boots), or there are some vegetable oils that are
usable. I use camelia oil (from dick.biz in Germany, but not the
Japanese simulated camelia oils for tools). Walnut oil (from a deli,
or even Tesco) is good too, particularly for kitchenware. Be wary of
other oils though, especially olive, as they can go rancid over time -
they oxidise faster than they cure.

Interesting - I use walnut oil for cooking, so there's generally a
container of it in the kitchen. It doesn't go rancid? I generally
treat my wooden kitchen stuff with mineral oil.