Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default Best tool to cut a slit in a wall?

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 05:31:20 -0700, dent wrote:
I've seen a few hire shops can supply wall cutters (basically
a plunge saw with a diamond blade), but these only go to about 50mm
depth. Is there a tool specifically for this type of job?

I saw a wall cutter once on TV - walls were a good 2ft thick. Crew had to
make their own rig to support it and guide it, then attach it to the wall
with some serious concrete anchors. They do exist, but possibly outside
the realm of hire shops :-)

re. angle grinder, can you access both sides of the wall? If so, drill a
couple of guide holes so you can line everything up and then attack from
both sides (and maybe source/hire a scaffold platform - or at least make
sure your ladder's secure; maybe anchor it to the wall and patch up
afterwards?)

cheers

Jules