Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland Peter Crosland is offline

Default Screw F**ed

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Peter
Crosland writes
"Rob G" wrote in message

Umm ... 200 - 160 = 40; 40/200 = 0.2 which is 20%. No wonder the
world's finances are in such poor shape when the modern generation
can't even do sums like this in their heads.

In actual fact the £ was worth about $1.41 a year ago so it has actually
appreciated against the $ rather than fallen during the last year! As I am
aged 62 I don't think I can be regarded as modern generation so your
assumption is just as wrong as the OP's was.

Play nice girls.

http://www.x-rates.com/d/USD/GBP/hist2008.html

Looks like the £ was about $2 until July last year, so just over a year,
and didn't hit $1.41 until March this year. Monthly averages that is.

http://www.x-rates.com/d/USD/GBP/hist2009.html

I compared rates one year ago on this site.

http://www.oanda.com/convert/fxhistory

It just shows how volatile the rates have been. Nevertheless I don't believe
exchange rates are the main reason for the price rise.

Peter Crosland