Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default OTish; When does a step become a deck.

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...
Last October the rules changed and any 'deck' more than 30cm above
the 'ground' needs planning permission.

I've been communicating with my local authority, who clearly don't
understand the (prolly badly drawn) legislation.

Very common situation with new builds or extensions is that the patio
doors opening onto the garden are say 45cm above the garden level,
therefore pretty much unusable.

What I'm after is the definition of a 'deck' and 'ground'.

If I were to build a step 15cm high leading onto a deck, how big or
little would that step have to be before it became a 'deck'?

I would say that a step is something that only has transitory use - in
passing from one level to another. As soon as you can use it for
another purpose, such as putting a chair on it, it becomes a raised
platform.

But if said step is too small to have another use - if it were 30cm wide x
200cm long for example?

That is clearly a step. The purpose of this legislation is to control people
building decking that gives them a view over their neighbours, property that
they would not previously have had. Keep that principle in mind and it
should be clear which work requires planning permisssion and which of those
are and are not likely to run into any problems getting it.

In practice, it will be whatever your local building
inspector says it is, unless and until there is a Court rulling on
the matter.

AFAIUI the legislation doen't mention building control "Building
regulations should be assumed to apply to every structure that requires
planning permission". Is about all I can find.

A senior moment. I meant planning, not building control.

Colin Bignell