Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default Water under foundation....when to panic? - new theory

On Sep 19, 6:27*pm, Frank wrote:
Mike wrote:
On Sep 19, 11:37 am, "
wrote:
Without considering all of the possibilities right now, I'd be inclined
to call the city (or county?) building dept. to find out what complaints
they have heard and what the expected soil conditions would be after 10
inches of rain. *You may just have a situation with the soil being
completely saturated and some of the water found a weak point to exit.
I'd also leave the hole in the concrete alone for now to monitor.

You've stated there is a slope, but not where you are in relation to the
bottom of the slope or what type of drainage system there is to drain
storm water from the property. *Lots of info that may have a bearing is
missing.

Thank you, Norminn....you are right, I omitted some key info. *Well, a
picture is worth a thousand words, so here are 6 pics showing the
house and the hole in the floor:

http://gallery.me.com/beverley.tetrick#100341

Would love to hear what you folks think after seeing what I was
talking about.

By the way, here is the original post I put up this morning since it
got snipped in Norminn's reply:

It's been rainy here in the South this past week. *Nearly 10 inches of
rain over 4 days according to my rain gauge. *Long story short, I
ended up with a little water in my basement (probaby not more than 2-3
gallons total given the size of the wet spot). *There is no drain in
my basement floor. *I assumed initially that the water had come under
my garage door (which is at the bottom of the driveway), but the water
was on the wrong side of the basement, so I was worried that something
else was happening. *(It should be noted that my house is built into
the side of a small hill, the front door is actually the 2nd floor,
and the basement is exposed on one side and the back and there is a
door to the outside on the back.) *I start moving some things around
to begin drying things out and I notice a hole in the basement floor,
about the size of a quarter. *I had seen the hole before, but then it
was more of a divet in the concrete, not more than a 1/2" deep. *Well,
now the little hole is deeper. *It goes through the concrete and at
least a foot or two down into the dirt beneath the house. *I have a
little metal rod that I stuck in there to see how deep it was going
and it came out dirty.

This amount of rainfall is unusual and I've never had water come up
through this hole before, so I'm wondering how freaked out I should be
now. *Should I just pour some watery concrete in the whole and forget
about it?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Mike

P.S. *This likely all stems from a clogged gutter situation on the
front of the house. *Time to break out the ladder.

Nice pictures. *I still think unclogging the gutters and maybe adding a
little dirt around foundation to improve drainage will solve problem.
Make sure down spouts do not dump water too close to house. *Hole, I'd
just concrete over. *It was an unusual amount of rain and may not happen
again but the "100 year problem" could happen again tomorrow.

Hello again. I wrote here yesterday that I had some water coming out
of a hole in my basement floor. I now think that is not really what
is happening. I think the water is seeping between where the wall
meets the foundation. I have smoothed out the dirt along the front of
the house (while it was still raining, natch). I put down 4 bags of
pine bark over the area so discourage the puddling that was
happening. Somehow I feel a little better about the situation now
that I believe the water didn't come out of that hole.

I have not been able to address the root cause of this whole situation
yet (referring to the clogged gutters) but will do that soon. It has
been raining off and on all day and it's supposed to continue for
another few days. We have, according to my rain gauge, been the
recipient of a foot of rain since last Tuesday. Crazy.

Thanks again,

Mike