Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default Hardwood garage door -how to re-furb.

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 11:50:06 -0700 (PDT), Rob G
wrote:

To show up your local joiner, my garage doors are pine, they were old
when I bought the garage well over 30 years ago second hand, and I
reckon it was at least 30 years old then, and are still looking good.

It sounds as if your local joiner needs avoiding for shoddy design and
workmanship

He's 67 and at least a thousand times better than the plastic windows
/sqirty foam cowboys we get nowadays.

True, after 18 years it is marginally disappointing. They did all the
hardwood windows and doors + conservatory from basic priciples. The
workmanship with the hardwood is very good, the only criticism I've
had so far is their insistence on using cheap bent steel hinges on
internal doors and using cheap "Builder's quality" locks instead of
the Chubb I asked for on the final exit door. Builders *will not* use
proper locks for the sake of saving Ca. 3 quid. As a result when a
lock failed the manufacturer was no longer in business, and the
replacement had a different outline, oh and all the hinges creak,
irrevocably.

Probably where the garage door went wrong was in their lack of
understanding of using a new material Viz hardwood faced ply. AAMOF a
material I really don't like. Panels with raw torn edges shouldn't
have been used , or at the very least cleaned up and not with the raw
edge at the bottom facing out, and some means of shedding water
provided for the lowest couple of rows so they don't cop for every
drop of water that hits the door.

Derek