Bay Area Dave

Default Splice together 2 x 4's for storage shed?

there are 2 qualities of studs at HD. if you spend an extra 12 cents or
so, you can get straight ones, all day long...

dave

Mark Jerde wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

you can get REAL studs at HD for a few pennies above $2. You CAN'T be
that broke!

Several points... g

- Why spend $2 * (the number of studs) if you don't have to? Lotsa rich
folk, who live very well, are quite frugal about buying new when used will
do. In many cases it's how they got and kept wealth.

- I've had new, kiln dried studs get all twisty. It doesn't matter much
in a wall, but why not use pieces that are probably done twisting?

- My neighbor has a nice shed he's building from construction site
castoffs. I raid his trash for 2' & longer 2x4's and 2x6's. Some of us
*enjoy* making useful things from other's junk. g My drafting table top
and a couple of 4-drawer roll arounds came from two desks that were tossed
out when a business moved. The top of my drill press table came from one of
the desk sides. Even if I could drop a million dollars a year into this
hobby I'd still enjoy making functional utility stuff from castoffs.

-- Mark