Charlie Self

Default Pro vs Hobbyist Furniture Makers

BRuce asks:

Hmmm, why would a pro not use a LN plane? or would they not use a plane
at all?

The latter. Some do, some don't, but unless you can convince a pro he's better
off spending xxx bucks for an L-V, he's apt to buy a used whatever for x bucks
and spend some time tuning it up, if he didn't do so 30 years ago. Or go for a
Veritas at a similar quality level and lower price. For the most part, pros
that I've met do not use planes. They set their work up so that it can be done
without proud surfaces, so little such work is needed, if any.

That, of course, doesn't count the makers who do the whole thing, or most of
it, by hand. And lots of pros do keep an apron plane handy for those rough
spots or increasing the size of an overlay or a rabbet in just a short area.

Charlie Self
"I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use
our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson