Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete Zahut Pete Zahut is offline

Default Preferred option for new overflow in the bath?

Peter Parry wrote:
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 18:49:14 +0100, "Pete Zahut" dont@bother wrote:

Sorry, I'm having a blonde, brain-freeze moment here. Did you mean
try to Araldite the captive nut in place chaps, or did you mean glue
the pipe assembly to the back face of the bath?

I could try to Araldite the captive nut back in place but it's a bit
awkward. I'm having to use surgical clamps to stop it falling away
as it is but a bit of "keyhole surgery" may do the trick )
Captive nut position arrowed he

Put some silicone sealant around the inside edge of the hole and,
using your Spencer Wells forceps in the hole, pull the backing plate
onto the hole. Allow to set for a day. This will hold it in place
while you do the rest.

Cover the bolt with a thin but complete film of silicone grease (NOT
sealant). Mix some quite thick epoxy or car body filler (a cure
second only to an angle grinder) and gently push it through and around
the hole. Try to build it up around the back. Tape the waste in
place and gently screw the grease coated bolt into the filler. Leave
until very well set and then tighten the bolt gently and remove the
tape.

What a brilliant idea Peter. Thanks for that my friend )