Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Green Stranded Wire for Outlet Ground?

"aemeijers" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"Josh" wrote in message
I'm adding a couple of outlets in my kitchen, and using metal boxes.
Does the short insulated green wire which grounds the outlet to the
box HAVE to be solid to comply with the electrical code? I don't have
any solid green wire on hand but I've got a whole spool of 12 Gauge
green insulated stranded copper wire.

I know a foot or two of solid green wire is not a major expense. I
just hate to drive to Lowes' if the stranded wire I already have is
acceptable.

Stranded is fine

Dumb question- why does code now require that little jumper wire? From the
time grounded residential wiring became normal (late 50s to early 60s?),
to the time I quit hanging around on active construction sites(late 70s),
SOP was metal boxes, with the bond wire wrapped around the romex jacket
and captured under the metal strain reliefs. Outlet was grounded by virtue
of the metal device ears being screwed directly to the metal box ears.
When and why did that stop being good enough any more?

--
aem sends...

It was around that time that grounding receptacles became the code, and the
Nec decided that the undersized copper wire in the romex should become equal
sized and have a proper termination to the box. I suppose at the same time,
they felt that the attaching screws of receptacles weren't adequate for
grounding purposes, and introduced the grounding conductor pigtail. Today,
there are a number of acceptable methods including self-grounding
receptacles, which have a small spring that contacts the attaching screws
for better conduction