Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Water under foundation....when to panic?

" wrote in
m:

Mike wrote:
On Sep 19, 1:54 pm, Han wrote:
Mike wrote in news:8d2b84de-1b36-407d-900c-
:

snip story
Can't quite see from the pictures, but isn't it likely that the
drainage right in front of the house was insufficient, and water
couldn't move dow the lawn towards the street? It then tried to go
down, and came under the foundation and up through the floor by the
"front" wall of the basement.

So, better drainage in front of the house should do it, either by
modifying the slope or digging and installing a French drain.

Disclaimer: I'm a biochemist not an engineer.

--
Best regards
Han

Thank you, Han. Yes, I agree entirely that the drainage right along
the front of the house is probable cause. My primary concern now is
this......now that I have evidence that there's water under the
foundation....what do I do about it?? The drainage along the front
of the house is the source of the water and I will handle that (clean
gutters, etc.), I'm just concerned about the apparent water under the
basement floor.

Thank you!

Mike

It seems to me that everyone is missing the major point - there was
TEN INCHES OF RAIN! Water has to seek it's level, which is down a
slope and/or through the soil. Where it goes through the soil would
likely be known by the city building depts. If there has been no
previous water problem in the basement, then it stands to reason that
the soil is saturated and will eventually drain. Not an issue to
ignore, by any means, but - heck - don't start planning for
engineering solutions that aren't needed but for a 100 year rain.
Idea: find a spot in the yard that is level with the floor of the
basement. Start digging and see if you soon get a hole filled with
water (like at the beach).

You're bringing up an important point - what to do to mitigate the
effects of such excessive rain. I do believe that the first thing to do
is adjust if at all possible the grading. Then, if indeed it is
groundwater welling up into the basement, there are only 2 things you can
do: Dig and install a French drain, if necessary with a sump pump, or
completely waterproof the floor and walls of the basement so it will stay
dry, even if it "floats" in the groundwater. You may have to ask Dutch
engineers to help, as that is apparently the way many DUtch basements are
constructed.

--
Best regards
Han