Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne[_4_] Tom Horne[_4_] is offline

Default Debate over mandatory spriklers

On Sep 19, 8:13*am, wrote:
On Sep 18, 10:23*pm, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
"State and local officials are now wrestling over whether to adopt building
codes that would require sprinklers in every new home and townhome starting
in 2011 amid intense lobbying from both sides."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090918/...ome_sprinklers

Most house fires are caused by Jewish lightening.I'm sure the firebug
will find a way to disable the sprinkler.

Actually the leading cause of home fires is smoking. * I doubt
sprinklers would have saved someone who died smoking in bed. * *But a
working smoke detector probably would.

Unfortunately the smoke detectors do not save small children, the
elderly and infirm, or the smoker themselves, because the smoking
ignition is often coupled with the consumption of intoxicants which
render the user incapable of responding effectively to the alarm.
Children, and others that are incapable of self evacuation, can only
be completely protected by automatic fire suppression. The office of
the State Fire Marshal did a study of ten years worth of fire
fatalities in the State. They concluded that about half of those
deaths would have been prevented by a fire alarm system that would
have automatically summon the fire department and that all except the
smoking igniters; including the children and others who had died with
the person who's smoking had caused the fire; would have been saved by
fire sprinklers.

--
Tom Horne