Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Could there be enough hot water pressure for a shower?

On Sep 19, 5:27*pm, "Heliotrope Smith" wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

On Sep 18, 7:39 pm, "Heliotrope Smith" wrote:

"NT" wrote in message

On Sep 18, 9:19 am, NT wrote:

On Sep 17, 9:44 pm, Tim S wrote:

Mick. coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi all, I live in a ground floor all electric 1 bedroom flat.

I do have a bathroom with a short bath in it; if possible I would

like
have fitted a bath mixer tap with a shower hose fitting.

In the airing cupboard there is a cold water tank on top of an

insulated
tank with an off peak immersion heater .

The top cold water tank is at the ceiling level.

Been there- house I was a kid in...

The hot tank below is at the top 4'2" from the floor.

This fact is not a factor in a standard open vented system - only the

cold
tank height matters.

Could this have enough pressure to use a bath mixer tap with a

shower
hose
fitting?

Yes it does work - but fairly poorly.

We had an Aqualisa shower mixer in exactly that setup. It was OK for

hair
washing sitting in the bath and you just about have a shower standing

up
but it was poor.

Have you considered a shower pump - that's a standard solution to this
problem - pressurised the hot and cold feeds (the pumps are actually

double
pumps with a common motor).

Cheers

Tim

set the pump to the minimum usable speed to address the tank refilling
issue. If necessary use a dropper to do

thishttp://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Droppers

NT

Would 1 or 2 central heating pumps be sufficient for this? They do
seem to have good life expectancy.

Central heating pumps will not be any good at all to pump water up to a
shower.
They are only circulators and will not pump to any significant pressure..

In this case though the water already reaches the shower head, just
with not much flow.

Correct, but ch pumps will still not increase the flow very much.

I have even seen two ch pumps connected in series with very little effect on
the flow rate.

Also there is the issue of rusting out in no time as raised by a previous
contributor.

cheers

NT