Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Coating or thick paint for fiberglass pool filter

Dave wrote:
On 9/18/2009 12:31 PM jamesgangnc wrote:
On Sep 18, 3:19 pm, Dave wrote:
I have an older fiberglass pool filter where the outer layer of the
resin has worn away over time and now the fibers are exposed. I
want to put some sort of thick coating or paint (epoxy?) on it to
cover up the fibers.

Does anyone know of something I could use on this that I can apply
with a paint roller and pick up at a Home Depot?

I suggest you get some epoxy or polyester resin. The epoxy is abit
more forgiving. Once polyester resin "fires" that's it, you're done.
Use a disposable roller.

Do you have a recommendation on a product brand that's available at
Home Depot?

They are unlikely to have anything. Ditto Lowes. Try a marine or surfboard
place. Or maybe auto supply like NAPA.
__________

And when you say "done", what does that mean?

Both require a catalyst to set. Epoxy sets up slowly once the catalyst is
added, takes up to a day to get reasonably hard. Polyester hardens much
more rapidly - minutes - and the set up time can be controlled a bit by
using more/less catalyst. The curing process generates heat, BTW, so use a
shallow container for mixing and don't put the container in the trash until
all is cured.

Also BTW, there are two types of polyester resin: laminating and finishing.
Use laminating when you plan to add additional coats as the surface remains
tacky after setting. The finishing has a small amount of wax added; the wax
keeps air from the surface so the resin sets hard.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...