Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Which Brandss of cordless phones most reliable

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:56:09 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Does anyone else have such drop-outs in locations with lots of RF
reflectors, and maybe an easy fix/hack?

I don't but two of my customers have the problem. They're located
directly opposite a downtown Santa Cruz CA rooftop loaded with
cellular antennas. When the handsets are anywhere near the window
facing the cell site, they drop out. Range is irrelevent as the base
unit is in the same office as the handset user. I don't recall the
exact models, but one is a 4 phone Panasonic, while the other is a 4
phone Uniden (as probably sold by Costco).

The problem is that in the US, the DECT 6.0 phones operate on
1920-1930MHz. PCS cellular base to mobile is next door at
1930-1990Mhz.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dect
It's the sheer power of the PCS cell site that rips on the DECT 6.0
phones. There's just not enough receiver selectivity and overload
tolerance available in the average DECT 6.0 handset to coexist in such
an RF environment. The receiver either blocks or hears PCS crud, and
it drops out. The best you can do is position yourself away from your
local cell sites or switch to 5.7GHz cordless phones.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D