Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default TOT; Word Doc

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 09:03:21 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Personally I've not Microsoft Office installed on any of my machines for
well over five years, and I produce and receive documents from many
customers, I can think of a few that needed minor tweaking (of the sort
that would happen when changing printer or paper size) but can't think
of any documents that were a write-off.

You've been lucky. The one time I tried to use OO writer on a word
document it was well messed up. Simple table that was in the wrong
place and size. Alignment and style of text within cells of said
table incorrect. I couldn't find away to get these errors sorted out
all the normal things like highlight the text click bold (the text
was bold and shouldn't have been) didn't work. This would probably
have been a word .doc orginating on a modern version of word, maybe
if you only have stuff from older vesrions of MS Word compatibilty is
better.

OO doesn't have an equivalent of Publisher either.

I've got nothing against OO, I've used it in different versions over the
years but I have to say I prefer MS Office.

Then again, I rather like the interface on Office 2007.

I know it's not relevant now, but my suggestion to opening an Office doc
in a format you can#t open, would be to use Google docs or some such.
--
Chris French