Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Could there be enough hot water pressure for a shower?

On Sep 18, 7:39*pm, "Heliotrope Smith" wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

On Sep 18, 9:19 am, NT wrote:

On Sep 17, 9:44 pm, Tim S wrote:

Mick. coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi all, I live in a ground floor all electric 1 bedroom flat.

I do have a bathroom with a short bath in it; if possible I would like

have fitted a bath mixer tap with a shower hose fitting.

In the airing cupboard there is a cold water tank on top of an

insulated
tank with an off peak immersion heater .

The top cold water tank is at the ceiling level.

Been there- house I was a kid in...

The hot tank below is at the top 4'2" from the floor.

This fact is not a factor in a standard open vented system - only the

cold
tank height matters.

Could this have enough pressure to use a bath mixer tap with a shower

hose
fitting?

Yes it does work - but fairly poorly.

We had an Aqualisa shower mixer in exactly that setup. It was OK for

hair
washing sitting in the bath and you just about have a shower standing up
but it was poor.

Have you considered a shower pump - that's a standard solution to this
problem - pressurised the hot and cold feeds (the pumps are actually

double
pumps with a common motor).

Cheers

Tim

set the pump to the minimum usable speed to address the tank refilling
issue. If necessary use a dropper to do

thishttp://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Droppers

NT

Would 1 or 2 central heating pumps be sufficient for this? They do
seem to have good life expectancy.

Central heating pumps will not be any good at all to pump water up to a
shower.
They are only circulators and will not pump to any significant pressure.

In this case though the water already reaches the shower head, just
with not much flow.

NT