Robin Lee

Default Veritas twin-screw vise install report

Mike -

No need to call - saw your post, have forwarded it around for comments, am
drafting a reply, and will post here later!

Cheers -

Rob Lee

"Mike in Mystic" wrote in message
om...
"Bob S." wrote in message
.. .
Mike,

Sure sounds like they changed the installation instructions -

significantly.
I think your review is longer than the instructions. When I installed

mine,
it was right about the same time they switched to the new style chain

cover
plate and although I had all the parts, mine had the old instruction

set.
The problem was quickly resolved by Lee Valley and the rest of the
installation was straight forward.

As I read your trials and tribulations I kept wondering why I don't

remember
any of those instructions - like putting paper in the holes or filing

down
pins and there were instructions for aligning the handles. As for the
hardware furnished, it was all top-grade that I could see and didn't

have
any problems like you. Could be they changed or were you having a bad

hair
day....;-)

I'm not sure if they changed anything or not in the instructions from the
past. As for me having a bad hair day, it is possible, but my hair is

just
about a crew cut, so I tend not to have those problems hehe

As for breaking off a screw in hardwood - if you didn't use the correct

size
drill for the pilot hole, you can snap a screw in an instant. Just

finished
refurbing about 40 hard maple door fronts and broke more than one screw
before I realized the drill bit I was using was one size smaller than it
should have been.

I agree with you, but I used the pilot hole sizes specified in the
instructions. The thrust plate bolt breaking off was definitely my fault

in
that I used a little too much force (obviously). The handle screw I don't
feel was my fault because I used a very reasonable torque setting on my
drill. My main point is that I think the hardware shouldn't be so prone

breaking. I don't know much about the manufacturing of fasteners, but I
would hope that there could be some out there that won't break off as

easily
as these did.

Call Lee Valley and let them know exactly what you feel the problems

were.
Ask for someone that knows about the vise and most likely you'll get a
person that has installed them several times. I'm sure Robin Lee would

be
grateful for any suggestions or comments that will make the installation
easier and/or clarify the instructions.

That's a good idea, I think I'll do that.

I've had my twin-screw vise for about 2 years now and its just one of

those
tools that you never regret buying.

I agree completely. All in all, the gripes I have are very minor, just a
little annoying. In total, the vise install went according to plan and

the
vise is working great. I'm sure that this will be an extremely useful
investment for years to come.

Mike