Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "ceiling" pull switch for exterior use?

In article ,
neverwas wrote:
Is there such a thing as a "ceiling" pull switch for exterior use
please? I've looked at TLC-Direct, CEF etc but can't find one.

In case I'm barking up the wrong thingie, I was hoping to use one fitted
to the soffit over the porch for an external light for an elderly
relative. She does not want a PIR 'cos of the local cats etc burning her
electricity. There is no convenient internal place for a switch. I was
hoping to avoid running conduit for an external switch (both because I
am lazy/useless and because it would be unsightly). I'd also inclined
against remote control as it'd mean her taking the zapper with her when
she goes out - just something more to forget/lose.

My thoughts are a porch light only switched from outside would be of
limited use. If you can find your way to the porch in the dark finding the
switch would be as difficult as putting the key in the lock? And you might
want to switch it on from inside to see who's at the door?

A remote would make more sense. Put it on the house door keying. Something
the size of a car remote wouldn't be too arduous to carry in the handbag.

However, if a pull switch was situated under the porch and protected from
driving rain I'd say an ordinary one would be ok.

--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.