Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Well pump pressure tank...

harry k wrote:

Yes, his system is operating correctly. Oddly, although the standard
is 2psi below cut-in, some tanks (and mine included) say 'same as cut-
in'. I cannot understand why the pump would ever start with pre-
charge at or higher than cut-in. I set mine to 2 psi below.

It will work with it charged higher than cut in because once the tank is
empty the bladder has no more room to move so the pressure coming out of
the tank goes to zero even if the bladder has pressure. I'll try
changing mine to about .5 psi below cut in. I would think going to the
same or higher pressure than cut in would give the system a sort of
water hammer type problem when the water stops, or almost stops, then
the pump kicks in.