Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default Yellow glue or ??? for Adirondack chair?

Prof Wonmug wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 23:30:50 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Prof Wonmug" wrote:

Is that 1 oart alcohol to 19 parts epoxy? In other words, just a
small
amount of alcohol?

Just a smell.

I just eyeball it, it's not critical, anything from 4%-6%.

I put two ribbons of epoxy in a dish, mixed a bit, and added a splash
of denatured alcohol. As far as I could tell, this did not affect the
epoxy mixture at all. It was just as thick as before.

I applied one coat to the two pieces. as far as I could tell, it did
not penetrate at all. It certainly did not disappear.

Now, I am reluctant to apply 2-3 coats of fear of getting too much
build-up and losing the nice fit from the clean (ragged) break.

I think I'll just apply it full strength and clamp.

I wasn't going to say anything because Lew appears to know more about
epoxy than most other humans, but I didn't think the alcohol thing was
going to work. System Three T-88 appears to be a bit of a different
animal relative to most other epoxies. The "clean up with white
vinegar" thing puzzled me right away; nothing short of lacquer thinner
or acetone would touch most of the other brands I've used.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.