Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Switch off at the socket?

Steve Terry wrote:
"Steve Thackery" wrote in message
Yes, we should all pay full attention to a fictional work whose main
premise is that a nuclear meltdown in the USA would burrow its way
through the earth all the way to China, shouldn't we?

You daft pillock! That wasn't the main theme at all! The "China
Syndrome" was a casual term used in the US nuclear industry at that time
to refer to a meltdown, and the film makers just used it in the title
because it sounds catchy.

Have you seen the film? It raised some VERY important issues about how
the drive for private profit can compromise safety. That's all.
SteveT

Indeed, Nuclear power can only be run anywhere near safely,
if private profit is taken out of the equation.

Absolute tosh.

All that is required is an independent inspectorate with teeth.

If that was, in general true of all industry, we would have planes
falling out of the sky every other flight.

The fact is that planes are as safe as the CAA or whatever body it is,
requires them to be.

Three mile island many not have happened otherwise

The safety record in the nationalised coal industry was not any better
than in what's left of it post privatisation.

Steve Terry