Posted to alt.home.repair
Yadda Yadda is offline

Default Bacteria sick shower head!

on 9/17/09 10:54 AM said the following:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:51:27 -0400, willshak
wrote:

on 9/16/2009 2:51 PM (ET)
wrote the following:
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:49:06 -0400, willshak
wrote:

on 9/16/2009 10:18 AM (ET) terry wrote the following:

Every week or so there is something 'in the news' that's unhealthy or
causes a risk to one's well-being! These items sometimes even get 15
seconds of coverage on some TV news spot! Musta been a slow news
night?

These 'studies' or findings are often presaged by such wording as 'A
recent study of 56,000 suburban families finds that ....... yada,
yada, .... "!

This week; it's bacteria contaminated shower heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also with news "That some of these bacteria can 'resist' the
administration of household bleach!". Oh what a calamity! Cos I
occasionally bleach counter-tops and other areas and put wooden
cutting boards etc. into the dishwasher at high temps, immediately
after use!

But; not being paranoid or anything I unscrewed our shower head a few
minutes ago to NOT find any goopy green or black gelatinous mess of
creepy crawly bacteria (finding only one or two minute black stones at
the inlet). Perched it on the spout of the water kettle and boiled
steam (212 deg F) through it for two minutes (hoping the shower
insides haven't melted!).

Incidentally we are currently under a municipal 'Boil water' advisory
because a pipe broke at the local pumping and chlorination site. (Oh;
btw there's another substance, chlorine, that apparently was/is the
cause of asthma in many children ............... maybe that will be
next week's concern?

So reckon we are safe; eh? Now I have to clean the kettle!

Cheers

Ignore all these scare tactics. What about the same water that runs
through your faucets? Don't drink that? I think a lot of this doomsday
warnings are the result of bottled water advertising.

???

Are you saying that you can't tell the (significant) differences
between a shower head and a faucet?

Nope. I'm saying that any bacteria in the water is the same coming from
the faucet or the shower head, and one drinking from the faucet is
putting that bacteria in the body, which could be more dangerous than
showering with the same water.

So, you don't know why a shower head would be different from a faucet?
It's VERY different.

Mildew can collect on any faucet head.