Posted to alt.home.repair

Default why limit number of circuits

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:50:55 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "RBM"
wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a 30 amp subpanel fed by a 10/3 wire.

My electrician told me that the code stipulates that the panel contain
no more than 4 circuits.

Why such a limitation? Why can't I split 30 amps among 40 circuits if I
want to? Doesn't the 30amp breaker protect against overloading?

Thanks!

Aaron
I would question what section of code he's making reference to

Probably the part that says everything must be installed in accordance
with its listing -- and the panel is listed, and labelled, for only four
circuits.

I can buy a panel that says 100amp (meaning 100amps) and has 20
circuits.

As Doug points out, if the panel is listed for 4 circuits max, you wouldn't
be able to exceed that. Yes, you can buy a 20 circuit panel with 100 amp
buss, and even if they'll fit, you aren't allowed to install more than 20
circuits in it

That's not the OP's question. His electrician, I think is saying
regardless WHAT panel he uses, if he feers it with a 10/3 protected at
30 amps he cannot put more than 4 circuits in - even IF he instala a
100 amp 20 circuit sub-panel.