Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Debate over mandatory sprinklers

There's a lot of different people out there. Some can whomp
out a fire with an extinguisher, do the salvage and such.
Others, it's a virtual death sentence, to go after a fire.
I like the smoke detectors, the other things (sprinklers and
fire extinguishers) oughta be personal choice.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

*In NJ the fire extinguisher manufacturers lobbied for
mandatory fire
extinguishers in every home. So now we are required to have
a visible fire
extinguisher in or close to our kitchens. When we sell our
homes we have to
pay for a smoke alarm and fire extinguisher inspection by
the town before we
can close. I talked to several fire inspectors about this
and they all said
that they were against this law. Their thinking is that
they want people to
get out of the house if there is a fire; not stick around
and try to put it
out.

There are many towns here that have all volunteer fire
departments. The
response time can be as long as 20 minutes. Sprinklers are
not a bad idea
in a situation like that. I personally feel that the fire
rating for walls
and ceilings should be increased in certain areas of the
house such as the
kitchen and garage.