Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Debate over mandatory spriklers

Sounds like over kill for a kitchen fire. However, one town
where I used to live. They had a stretch of apartments that
were tinder boxes. We in the FD all had heart flutters when
we heard "wintergreen way" on the air.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

I'm of the opinion there are better solutions:

1. If a city can mandate smoke alarms (at, say, $5.00 each),
it could easily
mandate fire extinguishers for the same amount. This is a
big difference
from $1,500.00 to install sprinklers.
2. If response time from the fire department is an issue,
beef up the fire
department! In my city, our fire department virtually
guarantees the first
piece of equipment will be on-scene within four minutes of
the alarm.*
3. If sprinklers were worth it, insurance companies would be
offering
discounts to homeowners. Obviously, the insurance people
couldn't offer a
big enough discount to amortize the cost of sprinklers.

-------
* Last year the power went out in my home. After putzing
around for about
ten minutes, I stepped outside from boredom. Jay-suss! There
were FORTY-TWO
fire department vehicles on my block! (I've got pictures)
Seems there was a
spreading kitchen fire in the apartment house across the
street.

The fire department had ripped down and uprooted the
iron-picket fence
between the apartment units and the street, had run hoses
off to the
horizon, and swarmed over the whole shebang like vultures on
a dead zebra.
There were ladder trucks, ordinary pumper trucks, a truck
with ladders that
could reach the thirty-seventh floor of this two-story
aparment house, a
water-spray truck with a boom like a cherry-picker,
supervisor vans,
ambulances, a cascade unit, special operation's vans, and a
HUGE, black,
bus-looking vehicle labeled "City of Houston Mobile Command
Center" that
looked like the thing that carries seniors to the local
Indian reservation
for a day of gambling.

I recognized one of the station numbers on a pumper. It was
from the station
near the Texas Medical Center, some eight miles away.

In addition to the 42 fire trucks in front of my house, a
couple of
neighbors reported that several pumpers were stationed up to
six blocks away
with hoses connected to fireplugs ready to race to the scene
with more
water.

There were police cars without number to direct the traffic.
News vans. A
helicopter. A power company truck (he was the one that cut
power to the
block). Everything but a steam-powered calliope playing the
Star Spangled
Banner. I half-expected a hurdy-gurdy man with a monkey and
a tin cup.

Lordy!

On the plus-plus side, I now know what to do if I get
lonely.