Posted to alt.home.repair
Aaron Fude Aaron Fude is offline

Default why limit number of circuits

jamesgangnc wrote:
On Sep 18, 11:53 am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have a 30 amp subpanel fed by a 10/3 wire.

My electrician told me that the code stipulates that the panel contain
no more than 4 circuits.

Why such a limitation? Why can't I split 30 amps among 40 circuits if I
want to? Doesn't the 30amp breaker protect against overloading?

Thanks!

Aaron

The box will say how many circuits it can have. You can't go over
that. Take a walk down the lowes aisle with breaker boxes. They all
have a limit.

OK, I think I confused everyone.
My contractor tells me that I'm not allowed to install a panel that can
take more than 4 circuits. And I'm wondering what the rationale is for
that particular limitation.