B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Default Pro vs Hobbyist Furniture Makers

On 17 Nov 2003 14:10:49 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)

#3 - "Real" pro and high-end stuff usually isn't even mentioned here,
they don't sell it at Woodcraft (except maybe Lie-Neilson). Visit a
local cabinet or millwork shop and you can see what truly "high-end"
stuff looks like. You'll also notice that much of it will be quite
old. Some of this stuff is so expensive or hard to get , even the
pros have to buy used.

Not always. A friend's base shop machine is a Powermatic 66...and it is aged.
His most recent purchase was a 36" drum sander. Not available at Woodcraft, but
not at all hard to find.

Absolutely. Nothing is that hard to find, but sometimes the cost of
moving it is a problem.

I've seen plenty of PM66's and Unisaws in pro shops. I was writing of
big jointers, multiple bladed tablesaws, gang rippers, molders, etc...
Stuff that's more or less carried by industrial equipment dealers, new
and used. For some reason, a millwork shop was stuck in my mind at
the time I wrote that. Any hobbyist could certainly purchase the same
stuff, money is money! G

I do know some pros that use LN planes, but you're probably right
about hobbyists owning most of them.

Barry