Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Norman Wells[_3_] Norman Wells[_3_] is offline

Default Switch off at the socket?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Norman Wells wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Nevertheless it happens. Its just that for all practical purposes it
is so slight as to be utterly irrelevant: hence all these claims
that it doesn't happen. Relativity says it MUST happen, maths shows
that you wont be able to measure it when it does.

The whole thrust of Relativity is that energy IS mass. If you take
it from a system, that system loses mass.

The trouble is, you've taken a theory that explains away certain
phenomena that occur in really extreme circumstances only, for
example at velocities close to that of light, or in nuclear
reactions, and have fallen into the trap of believing that it
therefore applies under all conditions as a general principle. Well, I'm
sorry, but it doesn't. Matter is not converted into
energy, nor vice versa, _at all_ except at the extremes. All energy
changes outside of those extremes occur through exchange of one form
of energy for another, kinetic energy into heat for example. They
involve no change of mass whatsoever, not even infinitessimally.

No one said matter was converted into energy: We said MASS was.

"mass (Phys) The quantity of matter in a body" - Chambers Dictionary of
Science and Technology.

Care to tell us what abstruse definition you're using, and where it may be
found?