Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Repairing small switch mode power supply

"Roger R" wrote in message
I have a Lidl worklight of the type that uses a panel of 150 LED's.
It worked fine for a while but one day it flickered and went out.

As I'm one of those who likes to see what makes things tick, rather then
send it back I had a look inside the housing where there is a small Switch
Mode Power Supply (SMPS).
Photo he
http://freespace.virgin.net/enigma.1666/index.htm

The mains input fuse on the board has blown but nothing is burnt.

I'm hoping someone can advise on the likely faulty component.

Thanks for any help.

Roger R

If the fuse is blown violently i.e. blackened inside, check D1,2,3,4 for
short circuit. If they are ok, then likely that IC1 has failed. If it has,
that may not be the end of the story. Has the supply got any s.m. components
on the back of the board ? If so, and the chip has failed, there will
probably be s/c zeners / diodes amongst them. If the fuse has failed gently,
you might just be lucky and have something like a s/c secondary side diode -
red one top left, black one bottom left - although if the chip has got any
'inteligence', usually secondary side overloads will result in a cycling
shutdown rather than excess primary side current.

Arfa